bear Vs endure Vs stand Vs tolerate
1. Women have to A. bear B. endure C. stand D. tolerate the pain of giving birth.
2. I cannot A. bear B. endure C. stand D. tolerate his harsh criticism.
3. I can't (A. bear B. endure C. stand D. tolerate) such a cold weather.
4. How can you (A. bear B. endure C. stand D. tolerate) his fault?
5. Kitty has already had to (A. bear B. endure C. stand D. tolerate ) three painful operations on her lung. 她巳受了三次痛苦的肺部手術。
Bear (指一般的忍受) (承受重量)
e.g They have to bear the dirty working environment.
e.g. The manager had to endure a lot of heavy criticisms from her colleagues. 經理要忍受很多來自同事的批評
e.g. The Filipino maid can no longer endure the physical abuse from her employer. 那菲傭再也不能忍受她僱主給她的身體虐待。
stand 忍受 (令人不悅的事或物)
e.g. The ability to stand pain varies from person to person.
tolerate 容忍, 容許
e.g. I cannot tolerate his bad manners any more.
註: endure bear stand tolerate在不少情況下可以互用的。
1. B 2. all of the above 3. C 4. D 5. B